Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I Love Chai Tea.

I remember the day my life changed. I went to study for my college courses at Border's in Bloomington, Indiana, and ordered my first chai at the coffee shop. I had heard about this drink ahead of time and was curious, and I properly mispronounced it. "Ch-aah." From that first sip, I knew I had found true love.

Starbucks coffee?! HAH, burnt & bitter! I only drink chai tea, hot or cold, doesn't matter. I've tried the pre-made creamy chai sold at the grocery store, but never found the right mix. Until now. I found the recipe for Starbucks Chai Tea!

Chai Tea:
3 cups water
3 cups milk (I use skim, want to try with soy)
6-8 black or decaf black tea bags
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom (Wal-Mart $10.28, Kroger $10.69)
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves (I used 1/4 tsp, don't want it to taste too strong)
1/2 tsp ground ginger, or a small chunk of mashed fresh ginger

Bring water & milk to a boil. Add other ingredients, return to boil. Turn off heat and let steep for 3-5 minutes. Remove tea bags and filter through fine strainer. Serve hot or cold.

Love, love, love.

No comments: